The BSRC Fleming Ethics and Code of Conduct Committee was appointed by the Board of Directors, to advice on issues of bioethics and ethics that arise when carrying out research work in the Center, as well as to provide recommendations on the ethical considerations in the context of the programs proposed and implemented at Fleming.
The structure of the Committee is as follows:
- Maria Armaka, Chairman of the Committee, Researcher C’ BSRC Fleming
Deputy: Vassiliki Koliaraki, Researcher C’ BSRC Fleming
- Vasileios Ntafis, Vice-Chairman, Staff Scientist B’-Veterinarian, BSRC Fleming
Deputy: Sofia Grammenoudi, Staff Scientist B', BSRC Fleming
- Dimitris Kletsas, Member, Director of the Institute of Biosciences and Applications, NCSR “Demokritos”
Deputy: Antigone Dimas, Researcher C', BSRC Fleming
- Michael Koutsilieris, Member, Professor of Experimental Physiology, Medical School, University of Athens
Deputy: Antonios Chatzigeorgiou, Assistant Professor of Experimental Physiology, Medical School, University of Athens
- Mata Hatzipetrou, Member, Legal Counselor
Deputy: Panagiota Kafasla, Researcher C’ BSRC Fleming
The Committee addresses issues of compliance with the rules of the Code of Conduct for Research and provides recommendations to the competent bodies of the Center. In particular, the responsibilities of the Committee include:
- Provides recommendations on issues related to Bioethics and Research Ethics
- Reviews proposed research and approves research protocols, as required to ensure that studies meet the requirements of National and International Regulations
- Monitors compliance with rules on use of biological samples and protection of personal data resulting from investigations.
- Prepares and periodically updates the Center’s Code of Conduct for Research.
- Creates and updates the corresponding website of the Center to inform Center members on the basic principles and rules of research ethics.
- The Committee proposes to the Board of Directors the suspension or termination of a research project, if any violation of the law and the Code of Ethics for Research occurs.
- Prepares and periodically updates the Center’s Code of Conduct.
Fleming’s Board of Directors, following the recommendation by the Scientific council, adopted and decided to enforce the European Code of Conduct for Research Integrity of the European Federation of Academies of Sciences and Humanities (ALLEA), which is available in the address: http://ec.europa.eu/research/participants/data/ref/h2020/other/hi/h2020-ethics_code-of-conduct_en.pdf
Furthermore, the Board adopted the European Charter & Code for Researchers, available at: https://euraxess.ec.europa.eu/sites/default/files/am509774cee_en_e4.pdf .
Both documents are uploaded on the Center’s Intranet, and are available to all Fleming staff.
Relevant documents (in Greek) can be found here.